Authorities investigating early Wednesday morning house fire on South Main St. in Austin

Authorities are investigating after a house fire at a residence on South Main in Austin Wednesday morning claimed the lives of several pets.

Austin Police Captain Todd Clennon reported that authorities responded to the fire at 411 South Main Street at 6:10 a.m. Wednesday morning.  He stated that upon arrival, the Austin Fire and Police Departments noticed a large amount of smoke and fire coming out of the back door of the two-story residence.  The State Fire Marshal reported that the fire started in the kitchen because a trashcan was put on the stove and the burner was accidentally bumped.

Captain Clennon stated that three of the home’s six residents were at the house at the time of the fire. All three escaped without injury, though Mayo Ambulance Service was dispatched to the scene as a precaution.  Clennon went on to report that the homeowner was at work when the fire started, and Fire Chief Jim McCoy stated that two dogs and three cats were declared deceased in the fire. Three other dogs were able to escape the house along with the residents.  

The Red Cross was called to assist the residents.  Officials reported that there is no damage estimate available at this time.