Recent weather has postponed the overnight Interstate 90 detours for bridge deck removal, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
I-90 will be detoured near Stewartville from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. on March 29-31 while construction crews remove the Hwy 63 southbound bridge deck over the highway. The original work was planned for March 22-24.
During the I-90 detour, westbound motorists will exit I-90 at Hwy 63 northbound (Exit 209), proceed north to the Hwy 30 west exit at the Rochester International Airport, return to Hwy 63 going southbound and follow to I-90 where it rejoins the highway. Eastbound motorists will exit I-90 at High Forest (Exit 205), follow Olmsted County Road 6 east into Stewartville, then north on Hwy 63 to connect again with I-90.
The nighttime closure and detour of I-90 are being done for safety as crews begin the second year of the project north of Stewartville. In 2020, crews replaced the northbound Hwy 63 bridge, improved access for motorists merging onto northbound Hwy 63 from east and westbound I-90. They also closed an at-grade access to Hwy 63 from Hwy 30 west.
The ramp for eastbound I-90 to southbound Hwy 63 remains open at Exit 209A at Stewartville.
Motorists should also be aware about two traffic changes on Hwy 63 in the work zone:
- Traffic in each direction will be in single lanes adjacent to each other using the northbound lanes during construction.
- A temporary traffic signal will be in place at Schumann Drive NW in Stewartville through August.
Detours for motorists in 2021 include:
- Northbound Hwy 63 to westbound I-90: Motorists go north to the Hwy 30/Olmsted County Road 8 exit at the airport, return to southbound Hwy 63 and connect with westbound I-90 on-ramp.
- Southbound Hwy 63 to eastbound I-90: Motorists travel south to 20th Street and do a U-turn to travel north on Hwy 63 to use the I-90 eastbound on-ramp.
- Westbound I-90 to southbound Hwy 63 follow same route during bridge deck removal.
During the two-year construction project, both Hwy 63 bridges will be replaced, Hwy 30 west rerouted, some I-90 exit ramps will be added or realigned and the access to 90th Street SE will be closed and rerouted.
In the work zone, motorists should remember:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times
Motorists can find more information on the plans and sign up for email updates at the MnDOT project website or join MnDOT’s SE Minnesota Facebook group.
Crews continue to follow guidance from state and federal health officials to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
For traffic and travel information in Minnesota, visit MnDOT’s road conditions map or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store.