The Mower County Sheriff’s Office and Adams Fire Department responded to a garage fire in Taopi Monday evening.  

Mower County Sheriff Steve Sandvik reported that the fire, which occurred in a detached garage on Elm Street, was reported at approximately 7:52 p.m. Monday evening.  The owner of the garage told authorities that the walls near the chimney of a wood stove were smoking and appeared to be on fire. Sandvik stated that when authorities arrived on the scene, firefighters pulled back parts of the wall and extinguished the smoldering insulation and other building material that was in it.  

There were no injuries reported, and the damage was estimated to be between $1,500 to $2,000.