MnDOT reminds 4th of July weekend travelers to plan ahead for driving through road construction zones
With July 4 falling on a long weekend and holiday celebrations throughout the state, the Minnesota Department of Transportation urges Independence Day weekend travelers to plan ahead, expect delays and enjoy a safe, steady pace by driving the speed limit – particularly while driving through work zones.
More than 200 projects will be underway on state roads this construction season. While most work will be suspended over the July 4 holiday, work zones will remain in place for many projects. MnDOT recommends that motorists check 511mn.org and plan their routes before they go. When approaching work zones, motorists should expect quickly changing road conditions, reduced speed limits, slower traffic, narrow lanes, lane shifts, detours and delays as they travel through work zones throughout the state.
Motorists should also be aware that the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
Some of the highway projects around the state likely to affect weekend travel include:
- Highway 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls – Reduced to single lane in each direction, lane closures, lane shifts, reduced speed limit; southbound exits within work zone can be accessed at Goodhue County Road 1.
- Highway 60 east to Zumbro Falls – Detour. Closed between Highway 52 and Highway 63; access detour at Highway 58 in Zumbrota.
- Highway 43 at Highway 61 in Winona – Lane closures and traffic congestion through work zone.
- Highway 14 New Ulm to Nicollet – Detour. Road is closed to through traffic.
- I-90 South Dakota border to east of Beaver Creek – Reduced to a single lane in each direction, watch for closed ramps, Beaver Creek Rest Area closed.
- Eastbound Highways 15/60 near Madelia – Detours, Highway 15/60 reduced to a single lane, watch for closed ramps.
- Highway 23 Paynesville to Richmond – Detour. Follow County Roads 33, 32 and 12. Get map.
- Highway 4 Cosmos to Grove City – Detour. Follow Highway 7, County Road 2 and Highway 12. Get map.
- Highway 10 in Anoka – Reduced to one lane in each direction between Sunfish Lake Boulevard and Seventh Avenue; watch for several access changes at intersections. Highway 10 is also a single lane in Elk River, about eight miles north of this project.
- I-94 and I-35E in St. Paul – Lane restrictions and ramp closures.
- Highway 55 in Minneapolis – Southbound Highway 55/Hiawatha Avenue closed and detoured between Downtown Minneapolis and Cedar Avenue; includes the ramps from southbound I-35W and eastbound I-94.
- Highway 55 Minneapolis to Inver Grove Heights – Closed in both directions between Blue Gentian Road/Lexington Avenue and Mendota Heights Road. Eastbound Highway 55 closed between Highway 5 and Highway 13.
- I-535/Blatnik Bridge in Duluth – Reduced to a single lane in each direction.
- Highway 194 in Hermantown – Detour. Highway 194/Midway Road intersection is closed. Watch for lane shifts and lane closures at the Highway 194/Highway 53 intersection. Get detour map.
- Highway 37 at County Road 7 in St. Louis County – Highway 37 is reduced to 35 mph speed limit with narrow, temporary lanes. St. Louis County Road 7 is closed to through traffic south of Highway 37 to Highway 16.
- Highway 2 Fosston to Erskine – Watch for closed lanes, reduced speed limit; expect delays.
- Highway 92 Zerkel – Detour. Closed between County Road 35 and Highway 200. Get detour map.
- Highway 71 Bemidji – Reduced speed limit, narrow lanes and lane shifts on Highway 71. Anne Street closed, detour at Highway 71.
- Elk River – Highways 10, 101 and 169 are a single lane in each direction at the Highway 10/101/169 interchange; Highway 169 is a single lane in each direction at 197th Avenue; watch for narrow lanes and ramp changes.
- Highway 23 Foley to Milaca – Detour. Road closed between Foley and Milaca. Lane closures and lane shifts in Foley.
- Highway 15 Kimball – Detour. Road closed between Highway 55 and Willow Creek Road.
- Highway 27 Osakis – Detour. Road closed between County Road 51/County Road 82 in Osakis and Highway 71 south of Long Prairie.
- Highway 29 overpass near Glenwood – Detour. Road closed between Highway 28/29 in Glenwood and County Road 28.
- Highway 55 Wendell to MN/ND state line – Detour. Road closed between ND Highway 127 and Highway 9.
- Highway 200 Mahnomen to Roy Lake – Detour. Road closed east of Mahnomen to Roy Lake.
For a complete list of this year’s projects by highway or region, visit www.mndot.gov/roadwork/current.html.