Austin Bruins fall to Aberdeen Wings 5-3 Saturday evening

After winning 2-1 in a shootout Friday evening, the Austin Bruins were looking for a sweep of their weekend series with the Aberdeen Wings at Riverside Arena Saturday evening, but it was the Wings netting three goals in the second period to take the lead for good in a 5-3 win.

Josh Giuliani opened the scoring for Austin with his second goal of the season at 11:43 of the first period, with assists to Austin Salani, his sixth and Damon Furuseth, his third, but the Wings tied the game at one apiece at 16:16 with a goal from Brodrick Williams.  The Bruins took the lead back in the second period when Walter Zacher netted his sixth goal of the season, with assists to Elliot Lareau, his third, and Matthew Desiderio, his second made the score 2-1, but Abderdeen’s Nils Forselius then netted an unassisted power-play goal at 9:42 and another goal at 10:54 of the period to put the Wings in front to stay, it turned out, at 3-2.  Aberdeen’s Kyle Contessa tallied his third goal of the year at 13:24 to make the score 4-2 in favor of the Wings at the end of two periods of play, but Austin’s Jackson Luther tallied his second goal of the season at 14:50 of the third period, with assists to Walter Zacher, his first and to Matthew Desiderio, his third of the season and second of the game to cut the Aberdeen lead to 4-3.  The Bruins then pressed for the tying goal and pulled netminder Trent Wiemken with under three minutes to play, but Nikolai Tischkevich scored his seventh goal of the season by putting the puck into the empty net at 18:46 for the 5-3 final.

Cole Moore earned the win between the pipes for Aberdeen as he turned away 22 of the 25 shots he faced, while Ethan Robertson and Trent Wiemken both saw action in net for Austin with Robertson playing the first period and turning away 12 of the 13 shots he faced, and Wiemken wound up taking the loss as he made 15 saves in facing 18 shots over the last two periods of play.  The Bruins were whistled for seven penalties for a total of 32 minutes, while Aberdeen was called for five penalites for 10 minutes.  Austin was 1 for 4 with the man advantage, while the Wings went 2 for 4.

A scary moment occured in Saturday night’s game at 15:45 of the second period when Austin’s Elliott Lareau was battling with a member of the Aberdeen Wings for puck possession in the neutral zone.  The Bruins stated on social media that Lareau took an unintentional high stick to the right eye and received immediate assistance from Mayo Clinic Athletic Training Staff, Emergency Medical Technicians, and team and Riverside Arena staff.  Lareau was transported to Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin, and then transferred to Mayo Clinic/St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester for treatment.  Lareau was released from the hospital Sunday morning.