Albert Lea man involved in lengthy standoff after three people, including an Albert Lea Police officer were shot early Sunday charged with felony 2nd degree assault

An Albert Lea man who was taken into custody after a lengthy standoff after three people, including an Albert Lea Police officer were shot at an apartment building in Albert Lea early Sunday morning has been charged in Freeborn County District Court.  

21-year old Devin Matthew Weiland has been charged with a felony for 2nd degree assault with a dangerous weapon, substantial bodily harm.  Authorities reported that further charges are possible, pending review by the Freeborn County Attorney’s Office.  Albert Lea Police responded at 2:18 a.m. Sunday morning to Shady Oaks Apartment complex in the 800 block of 4th Avenue South after receiving reports of fireworks, and/or gunshots being heard in the area.  Upon arrival, a suspect, later identified as Weiland ambushed an Albert Lea Police officer, shooting multiple times with one round impacting the officer’s chest, and at least two rounds impacting his squad car.  Authorities reported that the officer was able to relocate to a safe area, assess his injuries and drive to the emergency room at Mayo Clinic Health System in Albert Lea, where he was treated and released.

Authorities went on to state that a perimeter and incident command were established, and a SWAT team, plus an armored BearCat vehicle responded to the scene.  Several people were evacuated from the apartment building and nearby roads were blocked off, and it was reported that multiple groupings of shots had been fired by Weiland with a high-powered rifle during the incident.  Two male victims, ages 52 and 38 were struck by the gunfire and both were flown to Mayo Clinic St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester after first being transported to Mayo Clinic Health Systems in Albert Lea.  The Minnesota BCA indicated that both victims were being treated for non-life threatening injuries.  They went on to report that at one point during the incident, a Minnesota State Patrol trooper discharged their firearm, and Weiland sustained shrapnel injuries but it is unknown at this time whether he was shot.  Weiland then surrendered to law enforcement just before 11:00 a.m. Sunday morning and was taken to Mayo Clinic/St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.  

Authorities went on to report that most occupants of the apartment complex were allowed to return Sunday. Those who didn’t had hotels provided for them for the night.